This is a heavily customised version of Firefox built just for Puppy. It is intended as a full replacement to the Seamonkey Suite and has been customised for great speed, usability, stability, looks, more features and a small filesize.
Firedog adds FireFTP, abcTajpu, Xinha and Bookmarks to the Puppy start menu, allowing you to use these addons outside Firedog! They're all shown in a simple window, without browser buttons or menus - fine examples of the Firefox '-chrome' flag.
- fixed combined refresh/stop button - no need to move them around
- all the latest AdBlock rules are now supported!! Thanks to the Fanboy list, now included by default
- talkback binary removed as Mozilla don't support FF2 now, saved over 1mb
- updated start menu items a bit
- flash player 9 now works perfectly in fullscreen (for me at least)
Changes in Firedog 1.1:
- font-size made larger. This can be easily changed, see 'Further Customisations'
- all menus, toolbars & buttons can now be hidden, re-enable with (Shft+Ctrl+Alt+S)
- totally customised menus for extra simplicity and convenience
- added 'Flashblock' to make browsing faster
- improved address bar, combining progress bar and advanced auto-complete
- added search bar to GUI by default
- added well-minded Puppy search to search bar (very convenient!)
- added 'Personal Menu' - create an editable drop-down menu in the top-right corner
- added 'Menu Editor' - totally customise all of Firedogs menu
- improved GUI, addon and sidebar fonts even further, especially for Puppy 4.3
- improved display of various addons in chrome mode
- spell checking enabled by default
- easily add current page to search bar, if supported
- added small and useful 'cache viewer'
- better search options in right-click menu
- the 'Open All in Tabs' link removed from bookmarks toolbar
- all pre-installed bookmarks now in sub-folder 'Go', freeing space in your bookmarks toolbar
- combined refresh/stop button.. You must move the 'stop' button before (to the left of) the 'refresh' button!
Please post any mirrors if you can, as various hosting services don't work for some. Thanks.
Yes we have enough choice already, to the point of confusion. Firedog is a full-online suite, not a web browser. It's ideal for any puplet with no office, browser or mail, like ChoicePup or Puppy Arcade. It's fast, very stable, very easy to use and has many cool features and customisations.
A lot of the latest browsers are available for Puppy, but these often have a few bugs, occasionally crash and don't run so well on older systems. Firedog is based on Firefox 2 as it is more stable on Puppy and uses mostly the same addons as FF3 - but with smaller filesizes.
Details - What's in Firedog?
Adobe Flash player 9 is included, but updating Flash is easy. See 'Updating Flash' below.
Brief - a simple and powerful RSS/ATOM news reader
Chatzilla - a fully featured IRC chat client
FireFTP - an excellent FTP client
Flash Video Downloader - reliable, fast video downloads
Open IT Online - integrates online office apps with office files
SimpleMail - a multi-account email client
Xinha - a powerful WYSIWYG editor
Zoho Quick Read - optionally open .doc, docx files (etc) straight into Zoho Writer
AdBlock Plus - remove adverts from the web
BetterPrivacy - auto remove all LSO (flash) cookies
BlockSite - totally blocks any domains you choose
Stealthier - optionally disable all traces of browsing, like history, cache, etc
TACO - targeted advertising cookie opt-out, automatic
abcTajpu - easily add international characters like À, ě, й, ξ, ,ش
BugMeNot - get working login details for popular sites
Extended Copy Menu - lots of improved copy options
QuickDrag - eaily copy/open URLs, images etc by highlighting them and dragging them to anywhere!
QuoteURL Text - easily create a quote when you copy text
Spell Checker - right-click on an input field to enable it
TinyEye - good image search, right-click on an image
abcTajpu Keyboard - easily type foreign alphabets (in 'Menu->Tools)
Add Bookmark Here - adds a very convenient link to Bookmarks menu
Bookmarks - lots of great bookmarks, in a removable toolbar
Downloads in Tabs - a nice download manager in a separate tab
ErrorZilla - improved error pages, helps you find what you wanted
Faviconize Tabs - double click a tab to show/hide its title, space saver
Fasterfox - improves website loading times
Locate in Bookmarks - find bookmarks more easily in sidebar
LocationBar2 - improved location bar, with breadcrumb etc
Organize Status Bar - disable or move anything you like in the status bar
Restart Firefox - adds menu item 'Menu->File->Restart'
TinyMenu - space saver, all menu items now found under 'Menu'
You can find lots of great applications and addons in 'Bookmarks Toolbar->Addons'. This includes special applications and pages hacked out of Firedog that you can't otherwise find, for your pleasure and convenience!!
And more! (see changes to 1.1 and 1.2, above)
Firedog as a 'help-viewer'
'firefox -chrome (url)' can be used to display your URLs with NO menu, toolbars or buttons - just like PuppyBrowser. Despite some sites wrongly saying JS doesn't work, Firefox works very well in 'chrome' mode, especially as a 'help viewer'.
Firedog uses the ~/.mozilla folder. This does not alter Seamonkey but PuppyBrowser will NOT work due to 'missing' libs such as gtkembedmoz.so, although most of these libs can be found in /usr/lib/firefox.
To fix this, Firedog replaces Puppybrowser as the default help viewer, using chrome mode.
I wanna see Firedog used as the default browser in Puppy. Discuss!